[Pythonmac-SIG] BuildApplet in next distro of MacPython?

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Wed Dec 29 22:45:22 CET 2004

On Dec 29, 2004, at 4:29 PM, Kevin Walzer wrote:

> Bob Ippolito wrote:
>
> | I said that py2app's alias mode is non-portable.  BuildApplet creates
> | portable applications that work if all dependencies are expected to
> | already be installed.
>
> Hmmm. That's a good argument to retain BuildApplet in some form.

Not really, if anything else, it is an argument to add a "stupid" mode
to py2app.  However, as I've said before, I'm hesitant to prioritize
that since its usage is limited to two targets:  very controlled
environments, and python software developers.

In both cases, it's currently possible and likely better to specify
your expected environment by exclusion.  In other words, add an exclude
for each module/package you expect the user to already have.  This is
counter to the "ease of use" of BuildApplet, but given how uncommon
this use case is, how hard it is to test a BuildApplet application for
dependencies (you need two machines), I'd rather leave it as-is for a
while because people distributing applications built in this style
should at least know what their dependencies are.  In your case, you
already have to know the definitive list of requirements for
documentation purposes, so it's not hard to move that down to the
setup.py as excludes.

Back to the original problem, you said that these XML modules are
specific to Eric3, which means that somewhere along the way Eric3 is
doing some non-statement imports or exercising some bug in py2app
0.1.6.  Try it again with py2app 0.1.7, which was soft launched earlier
today in expectation of a PyObjC 1.2 release later today or tomorrow
morning (when I've built+tested the Jaguar package).  If that doesn't
work, I'll take a look at Eric3 myself to see what's going on and
either provide a workaround or compensate for what's going on in py2app
0.1.8.