[Pythonmac-SIG] SciPy, atlas and weave on 10.3

Christopher Fonnesbeck chris at fonnesbeck.org
Sat Feb 14 16:32:57 EST 2004

On Feb 14, 2004, at 12:21 PM, pythonmac-sig-request at python.org wrote:

> I'm running in to a string of problems preventing me from successfully
> upgrading from 10.2 to 10.3.  Under 10.2, I had installed scipy via
> fink and was using weave in one of my projects.  Under 10.3, scipy is
> not yet available under fink, but others had reported being able to
> install it manually, so I decided to give it a try.
>
> I was unable to figure out how to get around the atlas requirement and
> use "-framework veclib" instead.  Does anybody know if this is
> possible?
>
> Trying to install atlas via fink, the build process gets to the
> following point:

> cc -o xconfig config.c
> ./xconfig
>
> where it then appears to do nothing.  Activity Monitor shows that
> xconfig takes up virtually no CPU, and it just sits indefinitely.  Has
> anyone else seen this problem or know of a fix?
>
> Since I only needed weave, I decided to temporarily give up on scipy
> and just install weave.  I downloaded weave-0.2.3 from the scipy web
> site and tried to build it.  In addition to a bunch of
> reasonable-looking distutils output, I get the following when I build:
>
> dep: ['scipy_distutils', 'scipy_test']
> /sw/lib/python2.3/distutils/dist.py:213: UserWarning: 'licence'
> distribution option is deprecated; use 'license'
>   warnings.warn(msg)
> package init file '.../weave-0.2.3/weave/tests/__init__.py' not found
> (or not a regular file)
>
> If I go ahead and install it anyway, and try to use the blitz type
> converters in my project, I get:
>
> File "something.py", line 268, in computeResidualVector
>     type_converters = weave.converters.blitz)
> AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'converters'
>
> Any help would be appreciated.

I would run scipy without using fink. I try not to use fink unless
there is no other option. Once you get the developer tools loaded,
building Scipy should be pretty straightforward. You just need to add:

-framework vecLib

to your compile flags to give you ATLAS, BLAS, &c.

C.
--
Christopher J. Fonnesbeck ( c h r i s @ f o n n e s b e c k . o r g )
Georgia Cooperative Fish & Wildlife Research Unit, University of Georgia