[Pythonmac-SIG] IDE, IDLE, extras fail on 10.2.8

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen at cwi.nl
Sun Jul 4 15:45:04 EDT 2004

On 4 Jul 2004, at 13:39, Barry Schiffman wrote:

> I'd be grateful for some insight into a problem
> getting IDLE and the IDE to work. I'm new to the Mac
> OS, but have access to a dual G4 running 10.2.8.
>
> I installed Macpython2.3, and then the extras, so that
> I now have Apple's python along with Macpython2.3.

I think your problem is that you installed the extras on 10.2.8. The
Extras are for 10.3 only: Apple-supplied 10.3 Python plus the extras
more-or-less matches MacPython 2.3 on MacOSX 10.2. I thought the
installer for the extras had an explicit check that it only installed
on 10.3, but maybe that somehow didn't work (or did it print a warning
that you ignored, maybe?).

Anyway, this is fairly easy to fix:
- Remove /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework
- Remove /Applications/MacPython-2.3
- Re-install MacPython 2.3 for Jaguar.

Now, the IDE and Package Manager should work (If not: report back here
with the error you get). Now youu can use the Package Manager to
install IDLE, if you want it. You'll get an obscure error message about
TclTkAqua, if you select the "show hidden packages" checkmark you'll
see this package, select it, and the description should tell you where
to download TclTkAqua for 10.2.
Goldman