[Pythonmac-SIG] Pack Man issues on OS X 10.3.4

Markus W. Weissmann mww at opendarwin.org
Fri Jun 4 19:14:10 EDT 2004

On Jun 04, 2004, at 23:36, Bob Ippolito wrote:

> On Jun 4, 2004, at 5:20 PM, John W. Baxter wrote:
>
>> On 6/4/2004 11:38, "has" <hengist.podd at virgin.net> wrote:
>>
>>> This gives an idea: would DarwinPackages or Fink be viable
>>> alternatives for MacPython package management?
>>
>> This machine is a Fink-free zone, and is likely to remain that way.
>> I have
>> no valid reason for that attitude (other than the fact that my
>> paycheck
>> depends on the machine working).  And I don't have a sandbox machine.
>>
>> I'm not familiar with DarwinPackages.
>
> DarwinPackages doesn't exist.  There is something called Darwinports,
> which is part of the Opendarwin project.  I guess it's similar in
> concept to Fink, it just has a very different implementation.  It's
> very BSD-like instead of Debian-like.

In fact its very similar to the other BSD ports collections.

> Whenever I end up using one or the other I feel like I'm installing a
> separate operating system, that just happens to be hosted on the
> Darwin kernel.  I find that the easiest thing to do when dealing in
> X11 apps is to just run them over SSH from a real Linux box :)  When
> there is a port of MacOnLinux to OS X, I would probably run NetBSD or
> some distribution of Linux PPC when I really wanted to do the X11
> thing and didn't have a dedicated Linux/BSD box available...

hmm... did you ever use BSD? If their ports collections feel like
different operating systems to you, then probably
DarwinPorts will also do so. They also have stuff in base that is also
in their ports collections.

I really dont think you need to have a second computer running for X11,
just to play xbill or whatever. Also if you're
on the road the Linux fallback is no solution. In fact everyone I
talked to about DarwinPorts said "oh, its that easy?
thats even easier then FreeBSD ports".
I dont get how setting up a 2nd computer is easier compared to
installing Fink or DarwinPorts on your "real Unix" Mac.

cheers,

Markus

---
Markus W. Weissmann