[Pythonmac-SIG] Problem with tkaqua Tkinter and some Kanji unicode values.

Read Roberts rroberts at adobe.com
Tue Nov 30 17:36:50 CET 2004

At 7:30 AM +0000 11/30/04, Paul Taka wrote:
>Thank you very much for your detailed answer, and telling me how to
>list Tk font families.
>I'll try that.
>
>By the way, did you find an issue for this problem about displaying
>some Kanji?
>And do you know some way to type Japanese with Mac IME into a Tk entry box?
>
>Paul

There is a solution for the problems in displaying some Kanji. It
exists in the form of a patch, so you need to download the Tk/Tcl
sources, add the patch, and build the tk/Tcl libraries. the path is
described at;
"[ 638966 ] Font rendering on MacOSX with ATSU"
<http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=638966&group_id=12997&atid=312997>

Benjamin Riefenstahl  seems to be actively working on on this area,
according to an earlier e-mail on this thread, so there may be better
code for the patch in a few days or weeks

Tk does not yet work with Japanese IME's under Mac OS X ( it works
fine with IME's under Windows). I would also very much like to see
this fixed. The only work-around that I see is to write a separate
bundle or dylib that puts up  UI for text entry using the Apple
graphic UI  calls.  You might look on the the following news-lists.
These are in Japanese, so I can't read them - please let me know if
there is anything relevant.