[Pythonmac-SIG] appscript terminology caching #2

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Fri Oct 22 02:21:24 CEST 2004

On Oct 21, 2004, at 19:26, has wrote:

> Jack Jansen wrote:
>
>> There's all sorts of issues with starting daemons (like: will the
>> daemon be system-wide or per-user?
>
> It's a user-level process, so I guess that makes it per-user. Out of
> interest, does [Mac]Python run anything at any other level?

Python runs at whatever level you run it at, and it dies when the
script is over.  Python is not a daemon (unless your script is).

> Question: what are the rules for Python.app? ATS occupies a position
> equivalent to that of Python.app, so presumably we can apply any rules
> for the latter to the former.

There is no real Python.app.  Python.app is just a trick that puts the
interpreter inside of an application bundle so pythonw will work.
PythonLauncher is the closest thing to a "Python.app" and it doesn't
have an ounce of Python code in it (written in Objective C), it just
runs the Python interpreter in a subprocess or it will tell Terminal to
run a certain command in a new window.