[Pythonmac-SIG] matplotlib problems

John Hunter jdhunter at ace.bsd.uchicago.edu
Fri Aug 12 14:45:09 CEST 2005

    Samuel> I installed the matplotlib from
    Samuel> http://pythonmac.org/packages/
    Samuel> matplotlib-0.82-py2.4-macosx10.3.zip

    Samuel> if I try to import pylab it exits and complains about not
    Samuel> having pygtk.

    Samuel> It is my understanding that if I have wxPython installed
    Samuel> that I don't need pygtk. Apparently the dependency is
    Samuel> still there. Am I missing something.

    Samuel> I put matplotlibrc in ~/.matplotlib.

You did everything right, but for the most recent version.  In
matplotlib 0.83, we renamed ~/.matplotlibrc to
~/.matplotlib/matplotlibrc.  Since you are using 0.82, it is looking
for the old file name, and not finding it, falling back on the
defaults.

Rename your rc file back to ~/.matplotlibrc (until the next upgrade)
an you should be good to go.  Run your script with --verbose-helpful
for extra diagnostic information, like which rc file is being loaded.

JDH