[Pythonmac-SIG] Fink, DarwinPorts vs py2app

Chris Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Tue Feb 8 23:01:09 CET 2005

Bob Ippolito wrote:

> Mine is not.  I'm going to toss it in favor of a mpkg and/or egg based
> solution when one is ready.

Sounds good to me. I've always thought that you need to make it easy,
but not too easy. Years ago, someone hosted a "python on Linux" site,
that had nothing but a bunch of rpm of various python packages. If you
had a version of Linux that they worked with, it was great, and
extremely simple. Download what you want, and install it.

For OS-X, it could be even easier, as there aren't as many flavors of
OS-X out there in the wild.

As we all start to create more mpkgs, it there someone that wants to
host the collection? Bob?

Another option is for each package to be hosted at it's home (i.e.
matplotlib.mpkg hosted at the matplotlib site). I'm not sure which is
best, but I tend to lean toward making one site for OS-X packages. For
that matter, it could be the same site as people put packages for other
systems, packaged up in their native format. I tried to get something
like this going a few years ago, but got very little support. I think
most python programmers find it far more interesting to
discuss/developer a nifty packaging system, rather than just maintaining
a collection.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov