[Pythonmac-SIG] Fink, DarwinPorts vs py2app

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Tue Feb 8 23:26:42 CET 2005

On Feb 8, 2005, at 5:01 PM, Chris Barker wrote:

> Bob Ippolito wrote:
>
>> Mine is not.  I'm going to toss it in favor of a mpkg and/or egg
>> based solution when one is ready.
>
> Sounds good to me. I've always thought that you need to make it easy,
> but not too easy. Years ago, someone hosted a "python on Linux" site,
> that had nothing but a bunch of rpm of various python packages. If you
> had a version of Linux that they worked with, it was great, and
> extremely simple. Download what you want, and install it.
>
> For OS-X, it could be even easier, as there aren't as many flavors of
> OS-X out there in the wild.
>
> As we all start to create more mpkgs, it there someone that wants to
> host the collection? Bob?

I'll host packages if other people build them :)

> Another option is for each package to be hosted at it's home (i.e.
> matplotlib.mpkg hosted at the matplotlib site). I'm not sure which is
> best, but I tend to lean toward making one site for OS-X packages. For
> that matter, it could be the same site as people put packages for
> other systems, packaged up in their native format. I tried to get
> something like this going a few years ago, but got very little
> support. I think most python programmers find it far more interesting
> to discuss/developer a nifty packaging system, rather than just
> maintaining a collection.

It's usually easier to have a platform-specific repository because you
don't have to bug the author to update his page.  It would be nice to
have a central place to host everything (at least metadata), and that's
what PyPI aims to be someday.  Without the infrastructure, you can't
really maintain a large collection unless you have a lot of free time,
which most people don't.