[Pythonmac-SIG] Re: Mac Python User Newbies

Troy Rollins troy.rollins at gmail.com
Sun Feb 13 18:30:43 CET 2005

> Let me conclude with a question: what *should* be in a newbie-friendly
> Python IDE? If you were writing one, what would you like to see in it?

Well, that is a good point. I suppose everyone will have a differing
opinion on that, particularly in terms of goals. For me, I'd like to
see a single package, which includes a GUI designer, script editor
with colorizing, debugger, interactive console, some sort of module
browser for functions and syntax, resource viewer, something similar
to package manager... and a basic set of modules for x-plat
development work. Then, some tool which helps to output the whole
thing as a runtime package.

I realize that is asking a lot. I really do. I also think that there
is money to be made by the company or person who delivers something
like that... providing it is pretty tight and cohesive.

I've tried the ones that have been mentioned. They all work pretty
buggy in my experience. (Not PyObjC or PyQt... those I have not
tried.)

--
Troy Rollins
RPSystems, Ltd.