[Pythonmac-SIG] Re: Mac Python User Newbies

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Sun Feb 13 19:36:54 CET 2005

On Feb 13, 2005, at 12:30, Troy Rollins wrote:

>> Let me conclude with a question: what *should* be in a newbie-friendly
>> Python IDE? If you were writing one, what would you like to see in it?
>
> Well, that is a good point. I suppose everyone will have a differing
> opinion on that, particularly in terms of goals. For me, I'd like to
> see a single package, which includes a GUI designer, script editor
> with colorizing, debugger, interactive console, some sort of module
> browser for functions and syntax, resource viewer, something similar
> to package manager... and a basic set of modules for x-plat
> development work. Then, some tool which helps to output the whole
> thing as a runtime package.
>
> I realize that is asking a lot. I really do. I also think that there
> is money to be made by the company or person who delivers something
> like that... providing it is pretty tight and cohesive.
>
> I've tried the ones that have been mentioned. They all work pretty
> buggy in my experience. (Not PyObjC or PyQt... those I have not
> tried.)

Neither PyObjC or PyQt are IDEs.  PyObjC is a runtime bridge between
Python and Objective-C, and PyQt is a wrapper for the Qt GUI framework.

PyQt is cross-platform, but it not currently available in any way free
of cost on Windows.  Trolltech has announced that they're looking to
relicense the Windows version so it is hybrid GPL like it is for X11
and Mac OS X -- however, that doesn't do anything for PyQt until
RiverBank also changes their license.  Though, if you're writing
software that isn't or can't be GPL, then you have to pay for it
anyway.

PyObjC currently has zero support for cross-platform development at
this time, but will potentially have GNUStep support soon.  However,
GNUStep isn't really a contender on Windows yet.