[Pythonmac-SIG] Mac User Python Newbies

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Mon Feb 14 19:16:36 CET 2005

On Feb 14, 2005, at 1:02 PM, Chris Barker wrote:

> Roger Binns wrote:
>> My wxPython code is hand coded.  I haven't found any of the design
>> tools to be much good for non-trivial projects.  For example try
>> doing something like the wxPython demo with one of them.  They
>> also don't work well if you have custom widgets, which is a lot of my
>> UI.
>
> This brings up a really good point about GUI GUI Builders: They tend
> to discourage the use of custom widgets, which is a really a bad
> thing. That's why I don't use them. Maybe someone will developer one
> that works really well with custom widgets some day... I'm guessing
> that would be a tool specifically developed for, and written in,
> python. That way you could easily add your custom widget to the
> "pallet" of available widgets, and it could be a first class citizen.

Cocoa and Interface Builder get this right.  In IB, there's a "Custom
Class" tab in the info window when you're inspecting an instance of
something, and you can choose any subclass.  If you want to expose
additional configuration features or a nice display for this widget,
you can implement that in an Interface Builder palette.

Of course, this is only really useful for Mac OS X specific
development, but I would definitely recommend that developers of tools
for other frameworks look to Cocoa for inspiration.  It's extremely
mature and flexible.