[Pythonmac-SIG] Mac User Python Newbies

Wolfgang Keller wolfgang.keller.nospam at gmx.de
Mon Feb 14 21:08:40 CET 2005

> I tried SPE, PythonCard, PyOxice, PyPE, eclipse and
> wing (under x11).

Supposed to run on MacOS X:
Eric3, Boa Constructor, DrPython (?), Leo (not exactly a conventional IDE)

Maybe someday as well:
BlackAdder

It doesn't seem to me that there are no IDEs available for Python on MacOS
X (or any other common system), but rather the opposite is true imho: There
are so many different ones that in fact the development ressources get
scattered instead of concentrated and in the end none gets the effort that
would be required to make it "rock-solid" and "newbie-proof".

And (from my outsider perspective as a "constant newbie") this seems to be
somehow symptomatic for the Python "community" altogether: Usually for each
"problem" to solve, there are several implementations competing with each
other. Other examples besides IDEs: DB modules, web frameworks, ORMs...

If for each given problem one implementation was chosen as "the official
one" and efforts would be concentrated on "hardening" this one and merging
in good features/concepts from the others as far as possible, newbies would
maybe get less confused and could maybe also get more productive more
quickly due to "better quality" of the "batteries included" in python...

Best regards

Wolfgang Keller