[Pythonmac-SIG] trouble making a standalone app with Python 2.4

Kevin Dangoor kid at kendermedia.com
Wed Feb 23 15:08:08 CET 2005

For a few reasons, I am moving my app to Python 2.4. It runs fine when I
use py2app -A, but it doesn't work when I try to build a full standalone
application. At first, "doesn't work" meant that Twisted's cfreactor
couldn't find _CarbonEvt. If I specifically ask to include _CarbonEvt, I
get a bus error.

I ran it through gdb and this is what I got:
Program received signal EXC_BAD_ACCESS, Could not access memory.
0x007615e4 in PyObjCFFI_BuildResult (methinfo=0xbdcae0, argOffset=2,
pRetval=0x77e088, byref=0xbcf130, byref_out_count=0, self=0x1f690b0,
flags=0) at Modules/objc/libffi_support.m:929
929             if (self != NULL && objc_result != self

I wanted to start with my basic setup and make sure that all is well:

When I built Python, I did it as a framework build. I also enabled
toolkit glue, but I'm really not sure what that means and haven't seen
any docs that tell me. Those were the only two configure options I used.
I also just tried rebuilding Python without enable-toolkit-glue to see
if it made a difference, and it didn't seem to.

I installed PyObjC 1.2 with python setup.py bdist_mpkg --open (this was
after making sure that python 2.4 was what I was picking up from my
path). I've also tried using py2app 0.1.7 and py2app's svn head.

I have an automated build setup that rebuilds all of my third party
modules, so running that was easy and I know I have everything there.

As I mentioned at the beginning, it runs fine using py2app -A. I wanted
to start with making sure the basic steps I've taken so far were okay
and then troubleshoot more from there.

Anyone see something wrong from there? Suggestions for next steps?

Thanks,
Kevin