[Pythonmac-SIG] Using Matplotlib interactive/GUI - How to?

Louis Pecora pecora at anvil.nrl.navy.mil
Sat Mar 5 20:55:13 CET 2005

I installed Chris Barker's compiled matplotlib and it works fine for
producing a graphics file (THANK YOU CHRIS.  NICELY DONE!).  I've used
it from interactive, MacPython, and BBEdit (TextWrangler will probably
work, too, since it's related).

I would like to use matplot lib in the GUI and, most probably,
Interactive mode.  I've been looking over the documents and examples.
 From what I've read so far (and I don't pretend to understand it all) I
have the following two "problems:"

1) I need to install Tkinter.  Attempts to use TkAgg or other things
warns me that _Tk or some such module cannot be imported or needs to be
installed.
    Is this right?  Any tricks or  difficulties I need to be aware of
to do this?

2)  I need to set  the Interactive  flag  in  .matplotlibrc  to  true to
do interactive plotting.  But I can't find .matplotlibrc in my home
directory (yes, it should be a hidden file and I looked through the
hidden files).
     Where is this one kept on the Mac?  A Finder Find show nothing, but
I know that doesn't search everywhere.

Is there anything else I'm missing to accomplish GUI and interactive use
of Matplotlib?

I am running 10.3.8 on a 12" Al PB  1.25 GHz.

--
Cheers,

Lou Pecora

Code 6362