[Pythonmac-SIG] RE: SPE-OSX IDE with Python on Mac or others?

Lee Cullens lee_cullens at mac.com
Tue Mar 29 23:10:42 CEST 2005

Greetings,

Dual 2.5 Power Mac G5; OS X 10.3.8 (retired software engineer in the
process of learning Python and new to Mac)

I wanted to kill two birds at once in using an IDE that "supposedly"
integrates with Blender3D and can be used otherwise.   So I downloaded
SPE-OSX which came as a zip folder with both binary and source (after
downloading and installing wxPython - already had MacPython add-ons and
Blender).  I moved the SPE-OSX folder that was downloaded to
/Applications/MacPython-2.3, and the Kiki, wxGladeOSX and XRCed
executables all bring up a window, but the SPE-OSX executable doesn't
make it that far (flash on double click, and HD activity, but nothing
more).

I am wondering if anyone knows what is missing (path
definition/whatever) to bring up the SPE IDE, or if I'm wasting my
time?  I notice their hasn't been much activity with SPE since late
2003 / early 2004 and no mail list on the site to search - has the
author moved on to bigger and better things?

Currently I'm using PythonIDE - have to manually type the URL for the
PackageManager when I occasionally look at it, but the docs are an easy
click away (which I access more often).  I also have IDLE but with
10.3.8 the help docs are screwed up so I went back to PythonIDE.

I would like a better sandbox and thus was trying to use SPE, but would
really appreciate and recommendations/comments/ref links/whatever :~)

Thank you,
Lee C