[Pythonmac-SIG] Re: IDE recommendation

Russell E. Owen rowen at cesmail.net
Wed Mar 30 23:42:34 CEST 2005

In article <70e164530f6f81abaa27f37fd8780c21 at mac.com>,
 Lee Cullens <lee_cullens at mac.com> wrote:

> Thanks François
>
> Not sure I want to get into eclipse just now but I referenced it for
> further study.
>
> I seem to remember blowing by SubEthaEdit already, but I went back and
> checked it out with Python IDE and it is indeed a must have basic text
> editor.  I was running into some problems between IDLE and PythonIDE
> and text editors with end-of-line conventions and I don't see that
> here.

Warning: SubEthaEdit does not enforce a line ending convention. That's
probably OK for Python source code, but can be a headache in other
contexts.

Example: set SubEthaEdit to enter \n when you type <return> (the unix
line ending convention). Then paste in text from any standard Mac app
and notice that the pasted text uses \r as a line ending.

SubEthaEdit is the only text editor I've seen that has this bizarre
behavior and I stopped using it because of that (it was causing
mysterious failures when checking in svn comments, which is how I
stumbled across the problem).

I recommend TextWrangler as a "must-have" free editor, though I hate the
find/replace dialog box enough to not use it for coding. TextMate looks
promising but is not yet polished. Pepper is superb but no longer
supported. XCode takes forever to launch.

-- Russell