[Pythonmac-SIG] Re: IDE recommendation

Chris Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Thu Mar 31 06:34:11 CEST 2005

> I had looked at XCode

So what is the story with XCode? Has Apple made it extensible and
customizable enough that it could be made into a good general purpose
IDE/editor? One thing that has always bugged me about all the IDEs I've
even seen is that they are designed for a couple languages/compilers,a
nd are lousy for other things. That's why I use Xemacs for everything on
Linux: It has an excellent mode for every kind of text file I've ever
needed to edit. I still haven't found an editor on the Mac I like much.
I use BBedit, but it doesn't handle indentation very well with Python,
and there are a number of things I don't like about the interface. I
think what I like least is that Bare Bones decides how it will work, and
if you don't like that: too bad. Is XCode better?

I had high hopes for Pepper, but it has been in limbo for a long time
now. Maybe Eclipse will be my savior...we'll see.

-Chris