[Pythonmac-SIG] Re: IDE recommendation

Lee Cullens lee_cullens at mac.com
Thu Mar 31 08:52:47 CEST 2005

Just an update Russel,

I was getting bored going through the TextWrangler docs, and
remembering that I had not even looked at the SubEthaEdit docs when I
used it went back to check out what you said further.  First, of
course, such is something that can be set in the perfs and per
document.  I found that the only case (that I tried) where I could get
into trouble with line endings was as per your note of pasting in text
that contained CR line endings and that is an issue that might be
troublesome (depending on one's intentions) with many text editors.
I'm sure you already know that showing "hidden" characters is prudent
in such copying.  I also noted in my tests that such is the difference
between PythonIDE (uses LF)  and IDLE (uses CR), and why only a new-be
dummy like me would mix them.

TextWrangler is (to me) too much like its big brother - a do-all
"develop it yourself" sandbox.  Great if that's what your into, but a
sidetrack to me.  For the moment I'll stick with the simpler
SubEthaEdit which I can even use in Terminal (instead of Pico).
Besides I liked "The Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy" (origin of Sub
Etha) - was it the late 70's or the 80's they serialized it on PBS (I'm
forgetting too much)?

Cheers,
Lee C