[Pythonmac-SIG] Run Python module directly from Terminal?

Les Hill leshill at gmail.com
Tue May 24 04:22:31 CEST 2005

On 5/23/05, Lee Cullens <lee_cullens at mac.com> wrote:
> So what's my problem?  Well I know I could reduce the typing with some
> aliasing in my .profile file,  but I'm wondering if there is not a
> simpler/direct way of accomplishing a basic task such as this?

Not sure if this is what you are asking but doing the following as the
very first line of the script:

#!/usr/bin/env python

And then adding the directory where the script is located to your
path, for example in your .profile:

export PATH=~/Python/scripts:$PATH

Finally, make sure the script has the appropriate permissions
(execute) by doing the following in a shell where you have moved to
the scripts directory:

chmod a+x SCRIPTNAME

This (admittedly second nature to Unix geeks) straightforward setup
should allow you to do the following at the shell command line:

wonderland: % your_script_here.py file_to_convert

will invoke your script with your_script_here.py as sys.argv[0] and
file_to_convert as sys.argv[1].

--
Les Hill
leshill at gmail.com