[Pythonmac-SIG] I can't grok PIL anymore...

Jerry LeVan jerry.levan at eku.edu
Sun Oct 16 01:23:07 CEST 2005

About a year+ ago I quit programming, currently my interest
has been stimulated again and I am trying to get back up
to speed.

I started out futzing around with pyscopg 2.0.4. and tried
to get it to build...

I quickly realized that I was in bad shape ( memory wise...).

I decided to upgrade to 2.4.1 and got the upgrade and the Tiger Python
Fix and started again...

I finally got the python interfaces for Postgresql and Sqlite build
and convinced myself that things were getting better.

I used the package manager to download PIL and things fell apart again
I don't seem to be able to display any sort of image.

Here is a little program that I sorta recollect that worked.

from Tkinter import *
import Image,ImageTk
import sys

def main():
     filename = sys.argv[1]
     root = Tk()
     img = ImageTk.PhotoImage(file=filename)
     label = Label(root, image=img)
     label.pack()
     root.mainloop()

main()

Running the above with any kind of graphics file
gives a dump like:

Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "imageview.py", line 13, in ?
     main()
   File "imageview.py", line 8, in main
     img = ImageTk.PhotoImage(file=filename)
   File "/Users/jerry/Library/Python/2.4/site-packages/PIL/
ImageTk.py", line 85, in __init__
     image = Image.open(kw["file"])
   File "/Users/jerry/Library/Python/2.4/site-packages/PIL/Image.py",
line 1745, in open
     raise IOError("cannot identify image file")
IOError: cannot identify image file
Exception exceptions.AttributeError: "PhotoImage instance has no
attribute '_PhotoImage__photo'" in <bound method PhotoImage.__del__
of <ImageTk.PhotoImage instance at 0x23edf0>> ignored

If I drop the ImageTk prefix to the PhotoImage line I can view Gifs.

Several other programs that I am fairly sure worked also fail with the
  "cannot identify image file" error.

Tkinter seems to be more or less working, I have a visual Postgresql
browser that is
built out of a number of tk widgets.

Tk itself seems to be working fine. I have written a photo browser
that can view a large
number of image formats and it appears to be working fine.

I installed PIL using the Package Manager and it installed into
~/Library/Python/2.4/site-packages.

Can anyone offer any clues as to what my problem is?

Jerry