[Pythonmac-SIG] 2.3 vs 2.4

Daniel Lord daniellord at mac.com
Sat Apr 15 20:43:38 CEST 2006

It is _not_ a good thing to remove Apple's Python. Don't panic though.

First, let's stop this from happening to anybody else...
Can you tell me where those instructions are that recommend that on
Python.org? I believe they refer to a previous _MacPython_  that was
installed which is not the same as _Apple's Python_ --perhaps that is
what confused you? If so, please say so and tell me where the text is
that confused you. (NOTE TO SELF: we might want to make that
distinction more clear)

There are applications (MotionBuilder is obviously one I now know)
that look for Python, not on your environment path like IMHO they
should, but instead embed the path. Someone with credulity (i.e. not
me;-) should recommend Alias research adopt that practice.

First let me try and help you:
What did you do to remove it? If you just deleted symbolic links,
great--put them back ;-).
In the future, rather than removing things, try changing symbolic
links in your path--that way recovery is rather simple.
If you deleted files, the best thing to do is to to find another Mac
running the same version of OS X you have and copy the Python
framework back.
If you cannot, I am not sure how to help.

If you were successful in restoring things, then allow me to tell you
what you should do in the future:
The recommended approach (and it used to be the default on install
for MacPython--I beleive it may still be but is optional now) is to
install MacPython in /usr/local/bin leaving Apple's Python 2.3
intact. Then you put /usr/local/bin in your path ahead of /usr/bin
(the location of the 2.3 python binary). then applications with hard
links to /usr/bin/python don't break.

Daniel