[Pythonmac-SIG] 2.3 vs 2.4

Troy Rollins troy_lists at rpsystems.net
Sat Apr 15 23:10:10 CEST 2006

On Apr 15, 2006, at 2:43 PM, Daniel Lord wrote:

> The recommended approach (and it used to be the default on install
> for MacPython--I beleive it may still be but is optional now) is to
> install MacPython in /usr/local/bin leaving Apple's Python 2.3
> intact. Then you put /usr/local/bin in your path ahead of /usr/bin
> (the location of the 2.3 python binary).

Daniel (and all),

This sounds like good advise. In my case, I've installed the latest
ActivePython from ActiveState, but the issues seem pretty much the
same. I still have Apple's 2.3.5 installed.

The thing I'm slightly unclear about is the best way to change my
path on OSX. Changing things like ~/.profile and ~/.bash_profile
change it for the shell, but do not change it systemwide. I've
modified my ~/.MacOSX.environment.plist, which seems to do the job,
but is it the right way to do it?

> then applications with hard
> links to /usr/bin/python don't break.

This is true, but they do cause some confusion. For instance, I don't
seem to be able to install wxPython... it finds the "wrong" python.

Recommendations on how to correct my $path, or install wx on OSX.4.6
would be much appreciated.

--
Troy
RPSystems, Ltd.