[Pythonmac-SIG] Fwd: MacPython icon mockup

Brendan Simons brendansimons at yahoo.ca
Fri Apr 21 14:04:24 CEST 2006

On 21-Apr-06, at 6:00 AM, donovan wrote:
>> I don't think stealing the Apple Installer icon is a good idea for
>> .egg though - double-clicking it doesn't install anything.  Perhaps
>> something closer to a StuffIt archive icon (a closed box) or a Python
>> logo behind Apple's zipper icon with "EGG" underneath.  Or an egg?
>> Anyone remember Software Ventures' logo? :)
>
> How about just the lego brick used for components with the python
> logo on the side. Look in /System/Library/Components.

I'm wary of using the brick logo, because as far as I can see Apple
uses them extensively for OS components.  I don't want to dilute
their visual meaning by co-opting the icon for something different.
I agree that the box isn't great either though since eggs aren't
executable.

On 21-Apr-06, at 6:00 AM, donovan preston wrote:

> On Apr 20, 2006, at 8:38 PM, Nicholas Riley wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Apr 20, 2006 at 11:11:19PM -0400, Brendan Simons wrote:
>>> I've attached a few more mockups using Jacob's excellent aquified
>>> logo.  Have a look here:
>>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/28928816@N00/132185325/
>
> Awesome. I love them. Ship it. :-)
>
>> I don't think stealing the Apple Installer icon is a good idea for
>> .egg though - double-clicking it doesn't install anything.  Perhaps
>> something closer to a StuffIt archive icon (a closed box) or a Python
>> logo behind Apple's zipper icon with "EGG" underneath.  Or an egg?
>> Anyone remember Software Ventures' logo? :)
>
> How about just the lego brick used for components with the python
> logo on the side. Look in /System/Library/Components.
>
>> The PYTHON text appears to be in the wrong font.  By analogy with
>> AppleScript, perhaps the text shouldn't be there at all (although how
>> many people will recognize the Python logo anyway?)
>
> Probably the python logo is enough, since the file ends in .py.
>
> dp

OK, here I have to disagree again.   I use icon view all the time,
and I really appreciate having filetypes written on file icons.
It's one of the reasons I switched to the mac.  It lets me know what
type of  is what without having to decode some unfamiliar icon, or
look to the file extension (which is still optional on the mac,
though I admit, required for python).    I'll look into the font, but
I thought it was supposed to be Lucida Grande.

Does anyone have a wiki where I could throw up a straw poll?

On 21-Apr-06, at 6:00 AM, jacob rus wrote:
> Brendan Simons wrote:
>> I've attached a few more mockups using Jacob's excellent aquified
>> logo.  Have a look here:
>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/28928816@N00/132185325/
>
> Alright, I tried the monochrome idea for bytecode files, and also
> put up my own attempt at an embossed logo on a rocket:
>
> http://hcs.harvard.edu/~jrus/python/docs-and-rocket.png
>
> All of these are also included in the psd file (which keeps getting
> bigger... I should maybe remove some unused layers):
>
> http://hcs.harvard.edu/~jrus/python/python-icons.psd
>
> -Jacob

These are great Jacob.  I like the disk image in particular.  There's
a couple of changes I'd like to try this evening:
- I will incorporate your new icon,
- I want to see what real python bytecode looks like on the pyc/pyo
icon.
- The rocket logo looks better to me centered over the widest bit
- The mechanical pencil needs a bit of perspective so that it appears
to lay flat on the sheet.  If you're looking for more pencil images,
here's two good ones:

http://www.keyboardmag.com/Pictures/web/y/h/c/Pentel_Pencil.jpg
http://www.misterart.com/grouppix/280x210/2000/g2417.jpg

I'll check back with something tonight,