[Pythonmac-SIG] py2app build problems

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Sat Aug 12 22:17:20 CEST 2006

On 8/12/06, William Kyngesburye <woklist at kyngchaos.com> wrote:
> On Aug 11, 2006, at 9:34 PM, Bob Ippolito wrote:
>
> > On 8/11/06, William Kyngesburye <woklist at kyngchaos.com> wrote:
> >> I have a setup.py I generated from py2applet which I've expanded to
> >> copy in all the shell scripts and binaries and support files needed
> >> for an application (py2app is just for the app startup, the app is
> >> all shell scripts and C binaries).
> >
> > This use case isn't really covered very well by py2app. It's designed
> > to build Python applications. It can probably be used for that, but
> > you're mostly on your own.
> >
> Understood.  No complaints here.

> > file a ticket for this:
> > http://trac.pythonmac.org/py2app/newticket
> >
> > (if you don't file tickets, I can pretty much guarantee I'll forget to
> > do anything about it in any reasonable timeframe).
> >
> OK.  Just wanted to make sure there was a problem and it wasn't
> something I missed.

It shouldn't ever make two copies. It doesn't work because it's not
tested against umbrella-style frameworks because those are rarely seen
in third party frameworks (and Apple's stuff is never included in an
app bundle). If you can contribute one to use as a test case, it'd get
fixed faster.

> >> - for libraries installed from the software, it's pulling in
> >> installed copies (makes sense, since that's where the install name
> >> has them).  But these may be older than the ones I've just built for
> >> the app package and haven't installed yet.
> >
> > macholib respects all of the DYLD environment variables. If you want
> > it to pick up libraries from some other location, start setting them.
> >
> So, will the debug-skip-macholib option override the frameworks
> option? Or the other way around?

debug-skip-macholib takes precedence. Anything to do with dylibs or
frameworks will not happen at all. They won't even be copied. It skips
the entire branch of code that relates to macholib.