[Pythonmac-SIG] py2app and install_name changing to @executable_path/../Frameworks/libWhatever.dylib

Dan White dan at chalkie.org.uk
Thu Aug 24 16:00:47 CEST 2006

>> what should i rewrite it to be?
>> using
>> install_name_tool -id   ?
>> what would make pyapp automatically copy the library and rewrite
>> the install_name?
>
> If I understand things correctly the install_name of libguide.dylib
> is currently just libguide.dylib, whereas it should be /path/to/
> libguide.dylib. The install_name is copied into any objects that
> link to the library (which is what you get to see when you use
> otool -vL).
>
> If the install_name of a linked-to library points to a library that
> py2app can find at that location that library will be copied into
> the application bundle and it's install_name gets rewritten to
> something relative to the executable in the application bundle.
>
> Now that I think a bit more about this issue, it might be possible
> to solve this using a py2app recipe. I don't really have time to
> work on this, even though I'd love to play with the Intel compiler
> to see if that would speed up Python.

I'm still trying to get py2app to work for our BioImageXD software,

It appears to be the case that py2app is NOT re writing the
install_name of included non system .dylibs
(like the intel libguide and the vtk libs I am using)
as you suggest it should be doing,
so that they have

@executable_path/../Frameworks/libWhatever.dylib

instead of just

libWhatever.dylib

as their install_name, as can be seen by
otool -L

So now I wonder if this "should" be happening as the py2app code
stands as you imply above, but isnt happeneing due to a problem,

or

if it is not happening since this is not what py2app is trying to do.

Has it been fixed in a recent development version,
or is it really broken in my case,
or does that functionality need to be added?

cheers

Dan

Dr. Daniel James White BSc. (Hons.) PhD
Bioimaging Coordinator
Nanoscience Centre and Department of Biological and Environmental
Sciences
Division of Molecular Recognition
Ambiotica C242
PO Box 35