[Pythonmac-SIG] install again?

linda.s samrobertsmith at gmail.com
Mon Feb 6 11:00:16 CET 2006

On 2/6/06, David Warde-Farley <david.warde.farley at utoronto.ca> wrote:

> On 6-Feb-06, at 4:46 AM, linda.s wrote:
>
> > How to smoothly remove two former pythons from my Mac?
> > I have Python 2.3.5 installed in the machine. I tried to install
> > Python 2.4.2 from source but it did not appear.
> > How can I smoothly remove both of them and install a another python
> > version?
>
> You shouldn't try to remove 2.3.5; that's Apple's Python, leave it
> alone.
>
> As for the "installed from source" one, it would've been overwritten
> by the binary packaged one.
>
> Does this mean you got Python 2.4 from binary working?
>
> - David

Actually I downloaded python 2.4.2 and install it from source. The
installation appeared to be fine until "make install" was complete.
However, after I reenter the terminal and call Python, it still showed
Python 2.3.5 instead of Python 2.4.2, very confused... Some one
suggested me to download MacPython. So I am thinking about removing
the Python 2.4.2 from my machine (still curious why it did not
appear).
L.