[Pythonmac-SIG] install again?

David Warde-Farley david.warde.farley at utoronto.ca
Mon Feb 6 11:06:20 CET 2006

On 6-Feb-06, at 5:00 AM, linda.s wrote:

> Actually I downloaded python 2.4.2 and install it from source. The
> installation appeared to be fine until "make install" was complete.
> However, after I reenter the terminal and call Python, it still showed
> Python 2.3.5 instead of Python 2.4.2, very confused... Some one
> suggested me to download MacPython. So I am thinking about removing
> the Python 2.4.2 from my machine (still curious why it did not
> appear).
> L.

You need to make sure /usr/local/bin is in your path before /usr/bin.
To do this if your shell is bash, type

export PATH=/usr/local/bin:$PATH

or in tcsh

setenv PATH /usr/local/bin:$PATH

You should add one of these lines to your startup file (.bash_profile
if you're using bash, I don't know the tcsh equivalent) so that this
is the default for new terminals.

This should be better documented somewhere...

- David