[Pythonmac-SIG] New Page, first proposal

Charles Hartman charles.hartman at conncoll.edu
Wed Feb 8 19:21:57 CET 2006

Thanks Chris. What's below is not a complete response, just a couple
of specific, interim notes while I study up on the rest.

Charles

On Feb 8, 2006, at 1:06 PM, Christopher Barker wrote:

>> also I hope a prominent one slapped onto the top of the MacPython
>> site.)
> Do you mean Jack Jansen's site?

Yes. I'm thinking of what shows up at the top of likely Google
searches; I think that's pythonmac.org and "MacPython Website."

>> For a page title that covers the ground broadly and accurately, I
>> propose Python on the Mac
> Looks good, Does "Mac" now mean OS-X unambiguously?

That's a good question. (And what *is* the situation for OS9ers who
want Python?)

>> For me, the list would be (1) get Bob's framework (2) pick and
>> install an IDE
> Given the state of IDEs and their installers, don't start there. Start
> with a the terminal and a text editor.

I have reservations about this. Particularly if, as you say and as I
agree, the target audience is newcomers to Python (assumed not to be
newcomers to the Mac), then a way to avoid starting with the Terminal
is essential -- in fact, I'd say it's a primary motive in doing this
project at all.

Hence my support of:

>> Somebody who comes idly to the idea of programming in Python, and
>> finds the pythonmac page, will be happy if the result is an
>> afternoon's work that ends in a "hello world," possibly in a window.
>>  Using my own arbitrary preferences, that would entail:
>> 1. downloading & installing Bob's framework 2. downloading &
>> installing TigerPython24Fix 3. adding /usr/local/bin to the PATH
> We really should build an installer that does the three of these at
> once
> (with the PATH editing optional). I have no idea how to do that,
> though.

But it's true that this is a reasonable alternative beginning path:

> I do think a little "getting started" tutorial with a editor and the
> command line is a good idea, however. enough that they can read one of
> the intro books and know what to do.

Here's a similar crux:

> Bill Janssen wrote:
>> Who wants to open windows?  Why is a GUI automatically necessary?

One answer: exactly the people conceived as the likely entry-level
audience for this page. If you're a Mac user, confronted with a
programming language/environment, one of the first things you'll want
to know is how to make a little windowing app (whether you know
that's what it's called or not).