[Pythonmac-SIG] python 2.4.2 source builds 2.4.1?

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Mon Jan 9 06:54:37 CET 2006

On Jan 8, 2006, at 9:29 PM, Kevin Walzer wrote:

> Samuel M. Smith wrote:
>> I next tried removing the old 2.4.1 installation by changing the name
>> of the directory
>> /library/frameworks/python.framework/versions/2.4 to 2.4a
>>
>> I then did a ./configure and make
>> I tried to run ./python.exe and got the following error
>> AlBook:/install/python/macpython/python2.4.2/python-2.4.2 smithsm$ ./
>> python.exe
>> dyld: Library not loaded: /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/
>> Versions/2.4/Python
>>    Referenced from: /Install/Python/MacPython/Python2.4.2/
>> Python-2.4.2/./python.exe
>>    Reason: image not found
>> Trace/BPT trap
>>
>> so apparently I can't run the python.exe without the framework fully
>> installed so I did
>> sudo make install
>> and got this error

I'll repeat myself and be more explicit about why I said what I said...

You must run it with DYLD_FRAMEWORK_PATH=. if it's not installed
yet.  It has *absolutely nothing* to do with the fact that there is
an existing framework somewhere else.  In other words: it's not
linked wrong, you ran it incorrectly.

>> Framework build: use "make frameworkinstall" in stead of "make
>> install"
>> make: *** [altbininstall] Error 1
>>
>> so I tried
>> sudo make frameworkinstall
>>
>> and this worked.
>>
>> So the real way to build 2.4.2 is first removed any previous 2.4.x
>> builds then
>> run
>> ./configure --enable-framework
>> make
>> sudo make frameworkinstall
>>
>> this is different from every instruction I have seen. Nobody has ever
>> said use make framworkinstall.
>> So either everyone else is wrong or I am missing something important.
>>
> Aren't the instructions about the "makeframework install" somewhere in
> the Python source tree (a README or something like that)? I remember
> running into this issue with 2.4.2, then consulting docs somewhere in
> the code package I downloaded, then trying again successfully. The
> buildd process even rebuilt all the packages I had installed in the
> site-packages directory. Unexpected, but not an issue.

Yes, that is documented (probably obscurely) and it's the right way
to install a framework build.