[Pythonmac-SIG] Building universal PyOpenGL

Kent Quirk kent_quirk at cognitoy.com
Thu Jun 22 05:11:42 CEST 2006

Hi. I got my new MacBook and looked on pythonmac.org for prebuilt
packages for universal python 2.4.3. I've got wxPython and it seems to
work, but I also need PyOpenGL, and it's not listed up there. So I got
the source and I'm trying to build it.

The problem is that it's not building -- many of the source files fail with:

/System/Library/Frameworks/Kernel.framework/Headers/sys/stat.h:225:
error: field 'st_atimespec' has incomplete type
/System/Library/Frameworks/Kernel.framework/Headers/sys/stat.h:226:
error: field 'st_mtimespec' has incomplete type
/System/Library/Frameworks/Kernel.framework/Headers/sys/stat.h:227:
error: field 'st_ctimespec' has incomplete type

The problem is that somewhere back in the stack of include files (within
/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk/usr/include/unistd.h, included by
Python.h) there's an include of select.h, which defines _TIMESPEC and
the timespec struct...but it doesn't define user_timespec. stat.h
expects to have user_timespec defined, but won't define it if _TIMESPEC
has already been defined.

I'm sure that's clear as mud...but basically, there's a bug somewhere,
and it's fairly obvious what the general solution is (make sure that
structure gets define). The trouble is, I don't know what the *right*
answer is to fixing it.

 From some stuff I've found on the net, it seems like maybe unistd.h
might want to include time.h instead of select.h...but I really don't
know all the ramifications of the various issues.

So...I guess what I'm looking for is advice on which direction to
pursue. Is there a valid fix that can be made to PyOpenGL source that
would address this? Should I submit a bug report and/or patch to the
Python people? To Apple? I'd like to get to the point of a useful
universal build of PyOpenGL.

Advice?

       Kent