[Pythonmac-SIG] Support for live audio I/O via Python on Mac?

kevin parks kevin at macosx.com
Wed Oct 18 02:47:38 CEST 2006

altern wrote:
> there are also some python interface to Supercollider programming
> language. I think it is http://www.patrickkidd.com/

That is AWESOME~ wow... Can't wait to try it. I used Supercollider about
10 years ago and did a lot of work in 1.x
and 2.x and then just got discouraged as i HATE the syntax with a fiery
passion. It is nasty brackets braces parens
and semicolons everywhere.  Makes purl look clean. Plus it was a moving
target patches you wrote under 1.x had
to be rewritten in 2.x and then 3.x came out and that was abandoned for
Supercollider server or some nonsense.
I through my arms up and RAN back to csound and cmix. ... But iffin i
get get to those amazing unit generators (SC
has great great great sounding filters, oscils, etc. just amazing
sounding stuff) without having to put up with macho
SC programmers and buttugly and confusing code, I am there. I am pumped
for this. I really want to try it.

> I havent used it myself so i cannot really say much about it.

lemme know if you do.

> btw, kevin, how do you find RTCmix? have you tried in other platforms
> than osx?
I have used in on Linux quite a bit and on OS X. It also runs inside of
Max/MSP.
RTcmix is great, and has a nice but small following. It is good if you
like the precompiled instruments.
But it is not easy to make your own, nor is it easy to do any virtual
instrument design in it
since everything that is precompiled i too high level already...
additionally the mixer "bus-config"
metaphor for making a signal chain is awkward. But i have done a bunch
of stuff in RTcmix
and also have had much success reusing Python code inside it. If the
python interface for SC
is not ready for prime time, i would say give RTcmix a try. It is easy
to compile and lots of folks
are using it on OS X and Linux.

> enrike
>

> kevin parks escribió:
>> I use RTCmix to do real time audio on a Mac w/ Python
>>
>> http://rtcmix.org/
>>
>>> Subject:
>>> Re: [Pythonmac-SIG] Support for live audio I/O via Python on Mac?