[Pythonmac-SIG] Support for live audio I/O via Python on Mac?

altern altern2 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 18 10:51:30 CEST 2006

kevin parks escribió:
> altern wrote:
>> there are also some python interface to Supercollider programming
>> language. I think it is http://www.patrickkidd.com/
>
> That is AWESOME~ wow... Can't wait to try it. I used Supercollider about
> 10 years ago and did a lot of work in 1.x
> and 2.x and then just got discouraged as i HATE the syntax with a fiery
> passion. It is nasty brackets braces parens
> and semicolons everywhere.  Makes purl look clean. Plus it was a moving
> target patches you wrote under 1.x had
> to be rewritten in 2.x and then 3.x came out and that was abandoned for
> Supercollider server or some nonsense.
> I through my arms up and RAN back to csound and cmix. ... But iffin i
> get get to those amazing unit generators (SC
> has great great great sounding filters, oscils, etc. just amazing
> sounding stuff) without having to put up with macho
> SC programmers and buttugly and confusing code, I am there. I am pumped
> for this. I really want to try it.

you read my mind :)
I never really used supercollider but everytime i give it a try i get
put off by the syntax. I am habituated to python and this makes getting
into sc syntax pretty difficult, i always give up.

I heard that james mcartney is planning to do version 4 and there might
be some big changes again ... oh well ... this is what i heard, maybe it
wont be as bad as the changes from sc2 to sc3.

But yes the quality of the sound processing is really good and this
makes sc a very appealing tool. I have been always dreaming about a sc
in python. I discovered www.patrickkidd.com very recently and i was
going to explore this together with rtcmix next month and make a
decision soon. For me it is also very important that the system is
totally cross platform.

I have been using puredata up to now, i patch on puredata and then run
it as a process in the background with the -nogui flag from python. It
works quite ok on all platforms but because i use several externals, it
is a bit tricky on linux because they must be compiled.

>> I havent used it myself so i cannot really say much about it.
>
> lemme know if you do.

sure.

>> btw, kevin, how do you find RTCmix? have you tried in other platforms
>> than osx?
> I have used in on Linux quite a bit and on OS X. It also runs inside of
> Max/MSP.
> RTcmix is great, and has a nice but small following. It is good if you
> like the precompiled instruments.
> But it is not easy to make your own, nor is it easy to do any virtual
> instrument design in it
> since everything that is precompiled i too high level already...
> additionally the mixer "bus-config"
> metaphor for making a signal chain is awkward. But i have done a bunch
> of stuff in RTcmix
> and also have had much success reusing Python code inside it. If the
> python interface for SC
> is not ready for prime time, i would say give RTcmix a try. It is easy
> to compile and lots of folks
> are using it on OS X and Linux.

ok, thanks for the overview.