[Pythonmac-SIG] gmpy universal build (static)?

Daniel Lord daniellord at mac.com
Tue Jan 9 13:12:09 CET 2007

> IMHO this is the more important one for software that doesn't build
> out of the box, binary packages are nice to have but it should be
> possible to rebuild those without reinventing the wheel every time.
>
> What I'd like to see is a collection of binary packages that are
> created from a set of recipies (somewhat like what DarwinPorts
> does, but without sucking in a second installation of unix). That
> way it should be possible to (mostly) automaticly rebuild the
> binary packages when new versions of software are released, and
> when a new version of Python is released.
>
> In an ideal world we'd have the same set of software available for
> python 2.4, python 2.5 and Apple's python installation. The only
> way to get there is by using a toolset that does most of the work,
> manually building software and checking that everything still works
> is too much work.

I use shell scripts to do such things even though there are far
better tools.
I like it because the shell is: ubiquitous, doesn't require special
tools or configs, is easy to comprehend, and is easy to modify when
things (as they always do) break as versions change.

<wishful-thinking>
It would be nice to have a set of tools like Fink does, only made for
building software in place.
</wishful-thinking>

> Somewhere on the web should be good enough, Google should be able
> to find it then :-)

I have a .Mac home page I _never_ really use. Sound like a project to
go into the queue.
That reminds me, I need to do this for my universal PIL build for 2.4
as well lest the formula become lost in antiquity ;-)