[Pythonmac-SIG] Compiling Scipy/available binaries for Universal Python 2.4?

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Thu Jan 11 18:13:24 CET 2007

David Warde-Farley wrote:
> When I compile Numpy & Scipy from source (on a G5 running 10.4.8) I
> run into these sorts of snags:
>
>  >>> from scipy import sparse
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>    File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
>    File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4/lib/
> python2.4/site-packages/scipy/sparse/__init__.py", line 5, in ?
>      from sparse import *
>    File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4/lib/
> python2.4/site-packages/scipy/sparse/sparse.py", line 12, in ?
>      import sparsetools
> ImportError: Failure linking new module: /Library/Frameworks/
> Python.framework/Versions/2.4/lib/python2.4/site-packages/scipy/
> sparse/sparsetools.so: Symbol not found: _fprintf$LDBLStub
>    Referenced from: /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4/
> lib/python2.4/site-packages/scipy/sparse/sparsetools.so
>    Expected in: dynamic lookup
>
> Originally there were problems with libg2c.a and such, solved by
> putting symlinks in /usr/local/lib to those libraries as offered by
> the HPC g77 distribution. I can't seem to figure out how to get
> around this, nor can I find a binary distribution of scipy. Any help?

With Universal Python 2.4, you need to be using gcc 4 and gfortran. Please see
the instructions that I wrote here:

  http://projects.scipy.org/pipermail/numpy-discussion/2007-January/025368.html

If that doesn't solve the problem, try adding -lSystemStubs to the build_ext
command:

  $ python setup.py build_src build_clib --fcompiler=gnu95 build_ext
-lSystemStubs --fcompiler=gnu95 build

--
Robert Kern

 an underlying truth."