[Pythonmac-SIG] Compiling Scipy/available binaries for Universal Python 2.4?

David Warde-Farley david.warde.farley at utoronto.ca
Thu Jan 11 18:38:08 CET 2007

On 11-Jan-07, at 12:13 PM, Robert Kern wrote:

> With Universal Python 2.4, you need to be using gcc 4 and gfortran.
> Please see
> the instructions that I wrote here:
>
>   http://projects.scipy.org/pipermail/numpy-discussion/2007-January/
> 025368.html
>
> If that doesn't solve the problem, try adding -lSystemStubs to the
> build_ext
> command:
>
>   $ python setup.py build_src build_clib --fcompiler=gnu95 build_ext
> -lSystemStubs --fcompiler=gnu95 build

Hot dog! Yeah, I actually figured that out just after I sent the last
e-mail. I think that it wasn't working because the HPC g77 build is
3.x series gcc and the scipy binaries up on pythonmac are built
against a 4.x series gcc.   The gfortran binaries available from
http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/GFortranBinariesMacOS did the trick
(gcc_select'ed to 4.0). Now the only problem is that 3 of the Scipy
tests fail, but they all seem to involve complex numbers, which I
don't really need.

I think this means that the Universal scipy binaries offered on
pythonmac.org are quite broken.

Thanks for the quick response Robert.

Dave