[Pythonmac-SIG] Trouble installing Python Imaging Library on Mac OS X

Ritesh Nadhani riteshn at gmail.com
Tue Jul 24 06:22:43 CEST 2007

Hello

So I want to install Python Imaging Library on my Mac OS X. I followed
the tutorial steps by step. When I executed:

IOError: decoder jpeg not available

I got the error. Further Googling pointed me to the website:
http://www.kyngchaos.com/macosx/install/libjpeg

I downloaded the libtool updated linked there and unzipped it. It says
that: Then, you need to update the libtool file in the source.

Though I have no clue what does that mean. Unzipping it gave me two
file ltconfig and ltconfig.sh. Running the sh file gave me libtool
version mismatch error. Doing a search of system I found that there is
another ltconfig in /usr/share/libtool. Assuming that this file needs
to be updated with the one provided in the zip, I copied the original
ltconfig.sh to ltconfig.sh.bak and copied the new one to the folder.

The I followed the same steps as mentioned up there and the
compilation and installation seems to have gone correctly.

But again when I do selftest.py, I get:

Exception raised:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "./doctest.py", line 499, in _run_examples_inner
    exec compile(source, "<string>", "single") in globs
  File "<string>", line 1, in <module>
  File "./selftest.py", line 22, in _info
    im.load()
  File "PIL/ImageFile.py", line 180, in load
    d = Image._getdecoder(self.mode, d, a, self.decoderconfig)
  File "PIL/Image.py", line 375, in _getdecoder
    raise IOError("decoder %s not available" % decoder_name)
IOError: decoder jpeg not available
1 items had failures:
   1 of  57 in selftest.testimage
***Test Failed*** 1 failures.
*** 1 tests of 57 failed.

Moreover, sudo python setup.py build_ext -i, give me:

PIL 1.1.6 BUILD SUMMARY
version       1.1.6
platform      darwin 2.5 (r25:51918, Sep 19 2006, 08:49:13)
              [GCC 4.0.1 (Apple Computer, Inc. build 5341)]
--- TKINTER support ok
--- JPEG support ok
--- ZLIB (PNG/ZIP) support ok
--- FREETYPE2 support ok
To check the build, run the selftest.py script.

So it seems that the libraries were correctly found.

--
Ritesh
http://www.riteshn.com