[Pythonmac-SIG] pyObjC and Plugins

Steve Freitas sflist at ihonk.com
Thu Mar 1 07:11:35 CET 2007

Hi all,

I've spent all evening unsuccessfully trying to get the EnvironmentPrefs
plugin working on my setup, and I hope you can help. I keep getting
this:

2007-02-28 21:56:58.918 System Preferences[522] *** -[NSBundle load]:
Error loading code /Users/steve/Library/PreferencePanes/Shell
Environment.prefPane/Contents/MacOS/Shell Environment for
bundle /Users/steve/Library/PreferencePanes/Shell Environment.prefPane,
error code 2 (link edit error code 0, error number 0 ())
2007-02-28 21:56:58.918 System Preferences[522] [NSPrefPaneBundle
instantiatePrefPaneObject] (/Users/steve/Library/PreferencePanes/Shell
Environment.prefPane): principalClass is nil.

I found this earlier thread...

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/pythonmac-sig//2006-October/018298.html

...in which apparently upgrading to a later version of py2app fixed by
Ronald Oussoren did the trick. However, doing the same hasn't fixed it
for me, and I'm guessing in the flurry of reinstallations I left
something out.

I installed Python 2.5 from Python.org on a fresh install of 10.4.8. I
installed, from source, pyObjC 1.4. I did easy_install [module]==dev for
altgraph, bdist_mpkg, macholib, modulegraph and py2app.

>>> print altgraph.__version__, bdist_mpkg.__version__, \
    macholib.__version__, modulegraph.__version__, py2app.__version__
0.6.8 0.4.2 1.2 0.7.1 0.3.6

Now, I did a lot of uninstallation and reinstallation of all of these
pieces, and it's possible something from an old install is still hanging
around, since my uninstallation technique consisted of rm -Rf. However,
I'm not yet ready to try a fresh 10.4.8 installation again without
someone telling me that's the only way.

At various points in my console I also got the "ImportError: No module
named linecache", but not on every attempt -- I'm not sure why. I've
been careful to close and reopen System Preferences between each
attempt, and I delete build/ and dist/ in the EnvironmentPrefs dir as
well. If anyone could suggest something, I'd sure appreciate it.

Thanks!

Steve