[Pythonmac-SIG] Recording audio on Mac

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen at cwi.nl
Mon Mar 26 09:58:39 CEST 2007

On 24-mrt-2007, at 16:46, Lucio Torre wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I want to record audio on mac. Ive seen that the function SPBRecord
> does what i need.
> (http://developer.apple.com/documentation/QuickTime/INMAC/SOUND/
> imsoundinput.19.htm)
>
> This function is wrapped in the Carbon.Snd python library. My problem
> is that i need to pass a SPBOjb parameter and im unable to create an
> object of that kind.

Carbon.Snd is very old, and it hasn't seen much development in the
last 8 years. Mainly because the API is baroque, and Apple has been
steering people away from it for years.

Quicktime is probably your best option for recording from Python, but
I wouldn't bet on it that all the correct functionality is exported
to Python. But I'll be going to need some recording facilities too in
the near future, so if there's something you miss let me know and
I'll add it.
Goldman