[Pythonmac-SIG] newbie Mac switcher trying to set up django on Intel MacBook Pro Tiger

Bill Janssen janssen at parc.com
Wed Jan 2 21:33:32 CET 2008

> Even though I've been an open source developer since long before the
> word existed I find that I'm getting sick and tired of the reinvent-
> the-world attitude that is far too common in the open source community.
>
> If I am new to Python on the Mac and I've played with Apple Python a
> little, but as soon as I want to install one little add-on module I
> have to first replace the whole existing Python with something new
> (and not directly Apple-endorsed) I might just drop out. And at the
> very least it's mightily inconvenient.

Well said, Jack!  I think supporting/fixing the Apple-supplied Python
should be a goal.  I certainly used the Tiger 'Apple' Python for
everything, living with its various foibles, and I intend to do the
same with Leopard.  I can see why cutting edge developers might want
to have other versions installed (I've got 2.6 and 3.0 on my Leopard
machine, for instance), but all my normal software is developed
against /usr/bin/python.

Bill