[Pythonmac-SIG] py2app creates 90 MB .app

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Tue Jul 15 18:37:39 CEST 2008

Markus wrote:
> I resolved this issue but my mail with the solution was not posted to
> the list I expect. (Still wondering why.) Is it correct that you replied
> to me privately and not using the list?

That was an accident -- this list is set to default reply to the sender
only, and I neglected to hit "reply all".

> Here is the solution:
> The command line tool "strip" was missing on my machine. After
> installing strip (Apple Development Tools), py2app stripped the size to
> 47 MB which is half the original size! Zipped it is about 16 MB.

Ah -- that does seem to do the trick! Impressive reduction!

> According to several reports (including your report) this size seems
> perfectly OK now.

yup, it's big, but expected for a large Universal lib.

> PS: Although it might be unusual not to have these tools installed, a
> hint somewhere in the documentation -- if there is not one already --
> could be helpful for newbies like me.

Yes, it would. Just in case, I've posted this to the list, so it will be
in the archives.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov