[Pythonmac-SIG] Tkinter apps hang upon quitting

Kevin Walzer kw at codebykevin.com
Tue Jul 22 17:28:30 CEST 2008

Michael Crawford wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 6:22 AM, Kevin Walzer <kw at codebykevin.com> wrote:
>> What version of Tcl/Tk do you have installed?
>
> Actually, I'm not real sure.  I assumed that they were bundled with
> the MacPython 2.5.2 download, but a long time ago I built Tcl and Tk
> 8.4.11 from source.
>
> Do I need to build and install a later release?  That could be my problem
>
>> Can you post some sample code for me to play with?
>
> the short program on this page is a good example:
>
> http://www.pythonware.com/library/tkinter/introduction/hello-again.htm
>
> So far I've just been trying out the examples given in that tutorial -
> I have yet to write my own code.
>
> If it does turn out that I need to build Tcl/Tk from source, I won't
> have a problem - I'm experienced with other aspects of programming.

I have no problems with the code at the page you referenced. I'm using a
custom build of Python 2.5.2 with Tk 8.5.3 on OS X 10.5.4. It launches,
runs, and exits cleanly.

You mentioned installing Tcl/Tk 8.4.11. That's a pretty old version. Is
it a PPC-only build, or a universal binary? If you are running a PPC
build of Tcl/Tk on an Intel box, sometimes conflicts and hang-ups occur.
If you have any console/error messages when your Python program exists,
that might help diagnose it.

You might want to clean out the 8.4.11 build of Tcl/Tk and install
8.4.19 from this site: http://www.categorifiedcoder.info/tcltk/. It
should play nicer with the stock build of Python from python.org, which
links to Tk 8.4.x. One caveat: that's the end of the line for Tk 8.4.

--Kevin

--
Kevin Walzer
Code by Kevin