[Pythonmac-SIG] appscript docs (was: Path conversions)

Henning Hraban Ramm hraban at fiee.net
Sun Mar 2 14:41:03 CET 2008

Am 2008-02-27 um 21:57 schrieb Ned Deily:

> The macfile module of py-appscript was renamed to mactypes.  So, with
> the lastest versions of py-appscript, you'll need to change
> macfile.Alias() to mactypes.Alias().  See the doc files included with
> the py-appscript source download:  <http://
> appscript.sourceforge.net/>.

Thank you for your answer and sorry for my delay.
mactypes.Alias and mactypes.File do what I need, as far as I tested.

Is there any reason why the appscript docs aren't available online?
The Homepage doesn't even mention that there's documentation included
somewhere!

BTW I found some minor flaws:

* copyright notice is still 2004

* 03_quicktutorial.html:

It would be nice if it would explain how to set TextEdit's
document.text to unicode text - I didn't find a way.
Later: AARRGH - it works from the shell (simply using unicode
objects), but not from within PyCrust.
So there's a dependency from Python's environment - can't tell which
exactly.

* in 06_classesandenums.html:

app('Finder').home.get(type=k.file_url)
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "<input>", line 1, in ?
   File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4/lib/
python2.4/site-packages/appscript-0.18.1-py2.4-macosx-10.3-fat.egg/
appscript/reference.py", line 391, in __call__
     raise TypeError, 'Unknown keyword argument %r.' % name
TypeError: Unknown keyword argument 'type'.

(I get the Unknown keyword error for every keyword I tried. So it
looks like an error on my side, but I've no clue what could be wrong.)

* in 14_notes.html:
"""Dealing with problem applications

Appscript provides a number of mechanisms for dealing with
problematic applications. See the appscript website for more
information."""

See the appscript website?? There's not too much information on
anything...

Greetlings from Lake Constance!
Hraban
---