[Pythonmac-SIG] appscript docs

has hengist.podd at virgin.net
Tue Mar 4 02:10:50 CET 2008

Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:

> Is there any reason why the appscript docs aren't available online?

The Ruby docs have been up awhile, but the Python and ObjC versions
are still to do. As with most OSS projects: lack of time/motivation/
manpower and/or plain laziness - take your pick.

> The Homepage doesn't even mention that there's documentation
> included somewhere!
>
> BTW I found some minor flaws:
>
> * copyright notice is still 2004

Fixed in the 0.19.0 docs.

> * 03_quicktutorial.html:
>
> It would be nice if it would explain how to set TextEdit's
> document.text to unicode text - I didn't find a way.
> Later: AARRGH - it works from the shell (simply using unicode
> objects), but not from within PyCrust.
> So there's a dependency from Python's environment - can't tell which
> exactly.

Doesn't sound like an appscript problem, but I'm not familiar with
PyCrust so can't help you there.

> * in 06_classesandenums.html:
>
> app('Finder').home.get(type=k.file_url)
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>  File "<input>", line 1, in ?
>  File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4/lib/
> python2.4/site-packages/appscript-0.18.1-py2.4-macosx-10.3-fat.egg/
> appscript/reference.py", line 391, in __call__
>    raise TypeError, 'Unknown keyword argument %r.' % name
> TypeError: Unknown keyword argument 'type'.

Should be 'resulttype', not 'type'. Plus the creaky old Finder doesn't
seem to recognise the file_url type, so you have to ask it for an
alias or file_ref instead. Fixed now for 0.19.0; thanks.

> * in 14_notes.html:
> """Dealing with problem applications
>
> Appscript provides a number of mechanisms for dealing with
> problematic applications. See the appscript website for more
> information."""
>
> See the appscript website?? There's not too much information on
> anything...

<cough> This material is currently sitting unfinished on my HD, and
has been for about the last year or so. (Curse your much-too-sharp
eyes for finally spotting its absence!) I am hoping to get some
website updates done this week (in-between a million other things), so
will see if I can get at least some of it up Real Soon Now.

HTH, and thanks for the input,

has
--
http://appscript.sourceforge.net