[Pythonmac-SIG] Trouble installing Tkinter with 2.3.5/10.2

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Wed May 21 20:33:09 CEST 2008

Anthony Kozar wrote:
> I was really hoping not to have to rebuild all of Python (which I've never
> yet done)

When I was using 10.2, I used the Apple supplied python. The only issue
I remember was that you had to hack a bit to get distutils to built
things right, there was a spurious -x86 or something in the makefiles.
some googling of the lists from that era should help you find it. I
didn't use TkInter at the time, so I can't help there.

Also, it may be worth a plea here to see if anyone has an archive of
some of that old stuff. I do have the "MacPython-2.3" folder from
Applications from my old machine, but no Tkinter. I don't even remember
where that stuff got installed back then -- inside usr/lib somewhere?

Ah -- I see. I've also got a Library/Python dir -- I think that's what
site-packages was linked to. I've got Numeric, wxPython2.5.1.4, readline
and waste in there. I'm not sure what Python it when with. No Tkinter
though.

IIRC, Tk didn't work all that well back then, anyway, do you need to use
Tk? (wxPython never worked on OS-9, though).

This is an awful lot of work to support a pretty old OS though....

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov