[Pythonmac-SIG] Trouble installing Tkinter with 2.3.5/10.2

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Wed May 21 22:49:53 CEST 2008

On 21 May, 2008, at 5:00, Anthony Kozar wrote:

>   I would also just upgrade my 10.2 machine to a newer
> Python but all of the 2.4 and 2.5 binary distributions appear to
> require
> 10.3.  Is this correct?

That's correct, they require OSX 10.3.9 or later. There are two major
reasons for that: first of all building universal binaries that
support  OSX 10.2 is much more involved than limiting support to
10.3.9 and later, and furthermore I don't have hardware that's capable
of running 10.2 and therefore could not even test such a build if I
did create it.

You might have success in building a framework for OSX 10.2 from
source. I don't think anyone has tried to do that for a while, but I
see no reason why that shouldn't work (or could be made to work).

Full disclosure: I build the python installers for OSX on
www.python.org.

> So I am wondering what my options are now for cross-platform GUI
> development
> with Python on 10.2?  Can I get Tkinter installed somehow?  Would
> wxPython
> work better?  I am hoping for a solution that will be reliable and
> easily
> installed on Windows, Linux, and OS X.

I'd drop support for 10.2.   OSX 10.2 is very ancient and Xcode
doesn't even ship with an 10.2 SDK these days

Ronald