[Pythonmac-SIG] Problem with py2app and pygame on OS X Leopard (10.5.6)

Michael Sanders msanders42 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 11 21:26:53 CEST 2009

I can't seem to get py2app to work with pygame. I'm testing by just trying
to compile a simple hello world app:  .

> '''A simple app that displays "Hello, world!" the title bar of its
> window.'''

import pygame

> quit = False

pygame.init()

screen = pygame.display.set_mode((640, 480))

pygame.display.set_caption('Hello, world!')

> while not quit:

pygame.event.pump()

for event in [pygame.event.wait()] + pygame.event.get():

if event.type == pygame.QUIT: quit = True

I ran py2applet --make-setup hello_world.py to make the setup.py, and it
looks like this:

"""

 This is a setup.py script generated by py2applet

> Usage:

    python setup.py py2app

"""

> from setuptools import setup

>  APP = ['hello_world.py']

DATA_FILES = []

OPTIONS = {'argv_emulation': True}

setup(

    app=APP,

    data_files=DATA_FILES,

    options={'py2app': OPTIONS},

     setup_requires=['py2app'],

)

Running "python setup.py py2app" now seems to work fine with no errors,
however, when I run the app I get this error message:

hello_world Error

"An unexpected error has occured during execution of the main script

ImportError: PyObjC 1.2 or later is required to use pygame on Mac OS X.
> http://pygame.org/wiki/PyObjC

(Leopard comes with PyObjC 2.0 and I haven't uninstalled it.)

If I run "python setup.py py2app -A", I get:

hello_world Error

"An unexpected error has occured during execution of the main script

ImportError: No module named pygame

Any ideas on how to fix this? This app runs fine on my machine by running
"python hello_world.py", and py2app seems to work with another test app I
tried using pyglet.