[Pythonmac-SIG] Build python app using wxpython on intel-leopard and deploy on powerpc-tiger?

Ned Deily nad at acm.org
Tue Oct 6 20:27:41 CEST 2009

In article
<aad3caa30910051157p5f63b9ffue12fe71b1d38678d at mail.gmail.com>,
 hari jayaram <harijay at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi I have an OSX 10.5 running 64 bit leopard laptop.
>
> I have a python application that uses wxpython , reportlab and pyyaml
> (yaml) libraries.
>
> I am trying to build the app on Leopard and deploy it on Tiger using
> the following setup.py ( see below)
> However the *.app does not work and gives an error when the *.app is
> double clicked ( see attached png ). It understandeably complains
> about the Info.plist not having the correct PyRuntimeLocations array.
>
> What modifications do I have to make to the setup.py to get an app
> built on Leopard to run on Tiger ( both power-pc and intel).
> I am currently building against the System Python from
> /Library/Python/2.5/ and subversion version of py2applet.

If you want to use python2.5, install a python2.5 from python.org:
   http://www.python.org/download/releases/2.5.4/
That python (/usr/local/bin/python2.5) will work on both Tiger and
Leopard.  Reinstall your dependent packages (setuptools, py2app, wx,
reportlab, yaml) with that python.   By default, commands for those
packages will be installed to
/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/bin, which may or may
not be first on your shell $PATH.  When running py2app from there, it
should include python in the app bundle (it will not do this when using
the built-in Apple python) so the app should run on any 10.4 or 10.5
system.

--
 Ned Deily,
 nad at acm.org