[Pythonmac-SIG] size of py2app app

Charles Hartman charles.hartman at conncoll.edu
Sat Sep 12 19:58:39 CEST 2009

> Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 14:55:54 -0700
> From: Christopher Barker <Chris.Barker at noaa.gov>
> To: pythonmac-sig at python.org
> Subject: Re: [Pythonmac-SIG] size of py2app app
>
> Charles Hartman wrote:
>> My app changes just a little here and there between builds, and my
>> setup.py doesn't change at all.  Sometimes the app (using "python
>> setup.py py2app --strip --iconfile MyApp.icns") comes out to about 47
>> MB, and sometimes it comes out to about 95 MB.
>
> Weird.
>
> Are you totally sure you're doing the same thing? same python, for
> instance?
>
> Can you get both versions so you can compare them?
>
> -Chris
>

> --
> Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
> Oceanographer
>
> Emergency Response Division
> 7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax
>
> Chris.Barker at noaa.gov

Certainly the same Python, same wxPython.  No different includes.  I
couldn't see anything except very small local edits I was making in
the code that changed between a smaller and a larger build.  I'm
pretty sure they work the same, too (the small local edits aside),
though at the moment I can't get anything but a larger build.  For a
while I thought deleting the previous build from disk was encouraging
py2app to make the smaller version, but now that doesn't seem to have
any effect either.