[Pythonmac-SIG] py2app DistUtilsPlatformError[Sec=Unclassified]

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Thu Sep 24 22:49:33 CEST 2009

Ned Deily wrote:
> Just for the record, I don't think this particular issue has anything
> directly to do with either setuptools or python2.6.  IIUC, pyconfig.h is
> needed for any packages (packaged with standard *distutils*) that
> include any C extension modules.

They should only need it when you build the packages though, not when
you run them.

>  From a quick glance at the py2app
> code, it looks like, prior to r65, py2app did not copy pyconfig.h at
> all.  That wouldn't lead to problems until you tried to install a C
> extension module.

I built many py2app bundles with C extensions without any pyconfig.h
file. I only had the issue when I packaged an app that made heavy (and I
think in appropriate) use of setuptools. Granted, it's a big and complex
app, so it could have been something else, but a simple C extension.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov